Friday, August 25, 2006

Conspiracy Theory

Whenever I go to a GAP store or just by pass by one, I don't look for clothes anymore. I look for Chris Evans's ("Fantastic Four") picture. He's one of the latest spokepersons for the GAP t-shirts. (the black and white photos.) I already saw one in the window of a GAP store in San Francisco and on the side of a bus. However, today, I went to the Valley Fair mall and the GAP had the lieu of black and white photos on their walls, but lo and behold, the Human Torch wasn't there!

Sacrilege!

I mean, they have a bunch of people up there who I don't even recognize (and I'm sure most people won't know either). Sure, there's Mia Farrow (who honestly, I wouldn't even know if not for Tyra Banks's constant references about Farrow's hairstyle in "Rosemary's Baby," which is awful of me considering all her charity work), Jeremy Piven of "Entourage" and Pete Wentz from Fall Out Boy, but come on! Evans hurt his leg and was on crutches the day of the photo shoot and he still killed it. He worked one of his crutches into the picture, for goodness sake.

Well, I guess all the other t-shirt spokepersons' pictures were displayed more often because they were not as famous. I learned in high school that most advertisements use ordinary people because it makes their product/s all the more relatable to the consumers. That's probably why GAP uses everyday citizens in their denim commercial. This technique also provides better chances to models who are just starting out.

However, I'm short on ideas why GAP changes their celebrity spokeperson so often. Hmmm... I guess it depends whoever is the new "it" thing. Hollywood is so fickle.

Btw, do you know the number 1 cause for smoking?

Billboards!

Can you believe that? A professor mentioned that a town conducted a survey and believe it or not, that was the result. Then again, that same town had a not-so-hidden agenda to eradicate all the billboards in their area. The bottomline is you have to follow the money and then you'll have a better informed idea of what's really going on.

Take GAP for example. The agencies of the not so famous t-shirt spokepersons are probably paying bigger bucks to get their clients more exposure than say, Chris Evans's agency.

*lightbulb*

It's a conspiracy.

No, seriously. It is.

1 comment:

Lilly Buchwitz said...

I used to shop at Danier Leather, when Chris Noth was featured in their ads. I guess it's not only men who are swayed by sex in advertising! :-)