Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Sun Has Set on Studio 60



Sigh. Another one bites the dust. Professor Lilly was talking about Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip today, so I decided to blog about the fabulous show. I first learned of its possible fate last Monday when a Friday Night Lights replay aired in its place. Upon googling the show, I found an online source saying that there are three more episodes to look forward to, but this is more of a "contractual move" on the network's part. Apparently, Studio 60 just can't compete with CSI: Miami. The latter is drawing in twice as many viewers. Also, despite initial rave reviews, the critics have made a 360 and become Indian givers.

They're taking back their reviews.

Some are saying it's just Aaron Sorkin (writer of The West Wing) stroking his own ego. Not true. Can you feel the jealousy? It's definitely in the air. Then, there are those who think that the show isn't successful at making us care enough about the characters to tune in every Monday. Again, I'd have to disagree. For one thing, there's the relationship between Matthew Perry's character and Heather. Given the chance, they could be the next Ross and Rachel. Also, there have been acclaimed guests such as Sting and Lauren Graham (Gilmore Girls).

Others say that it's not funny enough. I guess that's why Studio 60 isn't the success that 30 Rock is even though they're both satires about the innerworkings of a Saturday Night Live-ish show. However, it should be taken into consideration that 30 Rock needs to be funny for 30 minutes only as opposed to Studio 60's one hour. Plus, I happen to find Studio 60 filled with nothing but wit. It pokes fun of religions, politics, celebrities and all that jazz. Even now, America isn't ready for a satire. As Professor Lilly pointed out, the audience just doesn't get that the show is satiric in nature and that's the whole point.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Studio 60 is back next week with a new episode. This past Monday was always scheduled to be a rerun, so NBC moved a new episode of Friday Night Lights into its place as a trial run.

Studio 60 isn't going anywhere just yet.

Anonymous said...

Also keep in mind... only 6 episodes have aired. NBC committed to 13 episodes, and then ordered 3 additional scripts on top of that.

Anonymous said...

i found you kim!

Anonymous said...

You're kidding! I had no idea the show was threatened -- all I've heard is raves about how great it is. (And I agree with that opinion; I think it's the best thing to come on the air since Lost.) I admit that CSI:Miami is also one of my favorite shows, but since I watch both online, anyway, I never gave much thought to the fact that they are competing.