Thursday, September 28, 2006

It's a Girl!

Elle isn't only a nice name for a baby girl, it's the name of a pretty nice magazine. Elle is targeted to women, but not just anyone--women with enough cash to spare on a Vera Wang gown or Manolo Blahnik heels. Also, the magazine is approximately $3.50 per issue. The amount is small in retrospect, but for a magazine? Some people won't even bother. Even though I am unfortunately not one of those women, I still enjoy reading it. Perhaps, even the fashion savvy transvestite will pick up a copy. After all, there are ads for Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, and Louis Vuitton, among others.

Suffice to say, I'm a happy and proud consumer of Elle magazine. They have all kinds of contibutors under their belt. Each of them is an expert in their field. A standout article I recently read was written by Jennifer Weiner. She's the author of "In Her Shoes," which the Cameron Diaz starrer is based on. The article was about the so-called genre dubbed as chick lit. It was as refreshing as it was interesting. Weiner supports her ideas with the chick lit currently in print, and her mentions of the books makes me want to devour them with my eyes.

There have been four other notable articles that I've read in Elle. Granted they were all about celebrities, the articles enlightened me on things I have yet to read elsewhere. First, I learned more about Channing Tatum and life after Step Up, which involves an upcoming movie where he gets to display his acting chops. Second, who knew that Ellen Page stole Ben Foster from right under our noses? I didn't until Elle came along. Truly, ignorance is bliss. (Both were in X-Men 3 playing Kitty Pride and Angel, respectively.)

Third, how much does Ashton Kutcher love his wife? Too much! I've never been a fan of his or his relationship, but now I kind of am. (He has two new movies opening this weekend: The Guardian and Open Season, and I mention this for no personal reason whatsoever.) For one thing, he said that most people don't know how their wives are going to look like 20 years into their marriage but he already does and he loves it. Insert "aww..." here.

Fourth, a rave review on the work of a relative unknown actress caught my eye. She's so unknown that I forgot her name, but I can't wait to see her performance in We Are Marshall, a movie based on real life events. It's about a plane crash that killed members of a football team in Texas I believe. It chronicles how the remaining players and coaches rise from the ashes. The aforementioned actress plays the fiancee of one of the late players. The Elle article brings up the scene where she returns the engagement ring to the boy's father. Prepare the Kleenex!

It should stop surprising me that everytime I have a new interest and then, I happen to be flipping through the pages of Elle dating back a month or more, I find an article about it. For instance, right now, I'm liking Joshua Radin's songs. As I was flipping through an old issue of Elle for this assignment, lo and behold, there was an article about him I never noticed before! Normally, I don't like surprises, but I'm willing to make an exception for the kind that Elle springs on me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is Elle really used as a name for a child? (Other than Elle McPherson... which I always thought was an odd name.) Do you know what the word "elle" means in French?