Wednesday, September 06, 2006

MEGA-zine

I've been meaning to read a copy of Access magazine, and today, I finally did. I didn't read all the articles--just the ones I found interesting. I liked the articles on page 6: "How Will You Survive?" and "Come and Get It." The first one talks about how you can avail of free stuff on campus. I thought joining the spartan squad was funny just because "there's a free t-shirt involved [and] you can quit after that day."

The second article names reasonbly priced restaurants nearby. Honestly, I didn't know any of them until today. I guess that's mainly because I was on a meal plan during my freshman year here. So, I was limited to what and where I could eat. (In the long run though, I think having a meal plan is cheaper than having to buy and cook, or in my case, microwave food. But more delicious? I think not.)

I thought the Access staff did a good job with picking stories that SJSU students would find relatable. "Among the Elite" talks about how SJSU can be in a league of its own albeit not the Ivy League. Then, there's "From Grades to Glory," which chronicles the lives of 4 famous Spartans.

Then again, none of the articles were really all that current int its topics, which I would have liked to seen such as Steve Irwin's death and Suri's debut, just to name a few. I know that the magazine only comes out once a semester and the staff has to shell out timeless articles so they won't be out of date by the time it's available campus-wide. They managed to do that with more articles on marrying young, myspace, the environment, music, yoga, and weight issues.

Access saved the best for last. My favorite article was "Dirty Little Secret." The various postcards were both hilarious and heartbreaking to read. However, I thought the front cover could use some work. It didn't really catch my attention. I only got a copy because I needed it for a class. If I was majoring in anything else, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. They need more catchy headlines and highlight all of them.

Still, you've got to love the fact that the magazine was printed with soy-based ink and is recyclable. Also, if you pick up a copy, there's coupon at the back for 15% off any food purchase at Lee's Sandwiches on E Santa Clara and 6th St. ;)

No comments: